All on 4 dental implants is a technique used to replace all missing teeth in the jaw arch.
This technique of dental implants has been around for many years with excellent results.
Dr Firas Daoudi, specialist dentist and senior clinical lecturer with many years of experience with dental implants presented a number of blogs on this issue to describe the all on 4 technique and the dental implant procedure.
In this blog we are presenting the benefits of using the technique of providing a smile in a day procedure and the possible accompanied risks.
Benefits of the all on 4 dental implants:
The benefits of All-on-4 implants over regular removable dentures or more complex dental implants include:
- Cost effective procedure: The all on 4 dental implant procedure avoid the need to use large number of dental implants making it more cost effective. It is a simpler and quicker procedure resulting in providing a full set of fixed dental bridge in one day. It help avoiding the need for complex bone graft or sinus lift procedure.
- Bone preservation. Dental implants help to preserve the bone in the jaw. If the teeth were to be removed without replacing, the jaw bone shrink over time. In comparison, dentures can accelerate this bone loss due to the pressure of the denture sitting on the gums and the underlying jawbone.
- Increased comfort – restore confidence The restoration is fixed in place and supported by implants instead of gum tissue, so it does not rub or create sore patches. No need for the denture glue and no embarrassing incidence with the loose denture.
- Improved diet & enjoy food Biting an apple is no longer a problem. Cosmetic denture wearers need to avoid certain foods that are difficult or nearly impossible to eat because they are too hard or crunchy and could damage the denture. Dental implants are strong enough to withstand these forces, allowing you to eat a more healthy and varied diet and enjoy increased bite strength.
- Improved appearance. Tooth and bone loss in the jaw affects facial dimensions and can make you look years older than you actually are. All-on-4 dental implants are constructed to replace height lost in between your upper and lower jaws, and will support your cheeks and lips.
• Quick and effective: This is a quick procedure producing immediate results in a single day. hence, it is referred to as a smile in a day or same day teeth.
Potential Problems and Risk factors with the all on 4 dental implants:
Dental implants are highly successful procedure. Normally success rate in excess of 95%.
However, with any surgical procedure there are a number of small risks that each patient need to be aware of.
The possibility of the body rejecting the implant immediately after placement is rare. In the hands of Dr Daoudi this is less than 1%.
There are some common post surgical complications in the form of some discomfort, bruising or swelling. Such issues are easily resolved with pain killers for a day or two after the procedure.
There are a number of risk factors that can lead to long term complications including:
- History of periodontitis (gum disease)
- Some systemic disease like uncontrolled Type II diabetes
- Bone disease and some medications like oral or intravenous bisphosphonates
- Bruxism (tooth grinding or clenching)
Long term complications can be avoided by smoking cessation and regular maintenance visits to London Smile Care as recommended. This will allow us to ensure the implant and surrounding gum are healthy and clean from any harmful deposits.
A condition called Peri-implantitis, or tooth implant infection, can set in when bacteria is present during oral surgery or any time post-surgery without proper dental hygiene.
Our team and experience hygienist uses special instruments to clean around the tooth implants in order to keep them free from plaque and food debris. Regular check-ups every 3 months and professional cleanings are essential to reduce the risk of tooth implant infection.
Another possible complication is the bridge retaining screw and chipping with possible wear and tear rom use.
We recommended the regular use of bite guard to reduce the pressure on your dental fixed bridge from overloading. This reduce the risks of implant screw loosening, wear and tear of the bridge and dental implant restoration.
The risks of nerve damage or sinus problems are rare with careful case planning.
All-on-4 dental implants is a very specialised technique so it is important to make sure you choose the correct team.
Careful planning, using the perfect type of dental implants for your case and more importantly the operating experienced dental implant surgeon can help minimising complications
At London Smile Care, Dr Firas Daoudi has 20 years of experience with dental implants with many happy patients..changing their lives restoring their confidence
Dr Firas Daoudi our specialist dentist and senior clinal lectures will be happy to answer your questions.
If you already had the procedure done, please contact us with your experience.